Cucumber is beneficial for heart, digestive system and helpful in kidney and bladder problems, tapeworm, hypertension. The common side effects are due to the bitter content present in the cucumber.
Cucumber is also known as Cucumis sativus, which is a part of Cucurbitaceous family. It is a delightful vegetable, which help to fight the sizzling summer heat. The growth and cultivation in different shapes, sizes and color of cucumber is very easy as this plant is supposed to be initiated from the Indian subcontinent. Presently, this plant is cultivated all over the world. Cucumber exists in three different types:
* Raw cucumber- cut up and consumed fresh
* Preserving cucumber-preserved for long ledge life and taste
* Eruct less cucumber-honeyed and slickest (comparing all three)
Cucumber is deliberated as one of the super food for its beautiful benefits on the health. Cucumber gives a taste of sweetness and is mostly used as a salad, fast foods or as juice. It contains various types of Vitamin like- Vitamin A, B1, B6, C and D. It is also rich in other minerals like
Cucumber ranks fourth all around the world for its cultivation. It is very essential to purchase organic ones because these are spewed with pesticides and insecticides, which may harm the health.
Health benefits of Cucumber
The super food “Cucumber” provides many health benefits, such as:
Cucumber is low in calories, which act as a natural remedy for lingering constipation.
- Daily intake is considered
- It does not comprise saturated fats or cholesterol
Eliminating Stomach issues
The peel of cucumber is considered to be a great dietary fiber for health as it helps to inhibit several stomach related diseases like
- Inhibit toxicity from the gut
Kidney & Urinary Bladder
Cucumber is a watery vegetable, which can help & support the kidney function by endorsing urination. It also benefits
- Heal Urinary bladder
- Heal kidney
- Dissolves kidney stones
The juice of cucumber contains an enzyme i.e. Erepsin, which aids to digest protein. It also cures several other digestive problems like
The seeds of cucumber are also extremely advantageous, which are regarded as a natural remedy to remove tapeworm from intestinal areas.
- Contains anti-inflammatory properties
- Cure of swelling of slimy tissues of the nose and throat.
Cucumbers are rich in potassium, whose heart friendly electrolytes inhibit blood pressure levels and inhibits heart rate by diminishing the effects of sodium.
Cucumbers are rich in antioxidants, which act as a hunter to remove free radicals that lead to aging and further age associated diseases. The antioxidants are-
Relaxation of muscles
Cucumber has insignificant diuretic properties due to its high potassium and watery content. While boiling the cucumber, the steam coming out acts as an anxiety reliever and relaxes the minds and muscles.
- It contains good quantity manganese, potassium and fiber
- It controls blood pressure and cure both high as well as low blood pressure.
Cucumber holds 95% of water, which hydrates and restocks the body by removing the toxins. Due to its high water storage, it acts as a system cleanser and sweeps the toxic materials out of the body system.
Bones & Tissues
Cucumber is rich in Vitamin K as well as silica. It also comprises Calcium, which also help to make a perfect vegetarian diet.
- It solidifies the bones by endorsing orthotropic activity
- It solidifies the connective tissue by endorsing joint health
- Receiving sufficient calcium sustains the body’s hormone and balances it by adjusting hormone release
Protecting the Brain
Cucumber contains copper, which aids the people to create neurotransmitters, which is known as the family of chemicals.
- The brain requires neurotransmitter for its communication
- Helps in Alzheimer’s disease by controlling impartial destruction in the brain
The extract of fresh cucumber inhibits the undesirable inflammation. It undertakes the mission by constraining activity of pro-inflammatory enzymes such as Cyclo-oxyenase and by inhibiting over creation of nitric oxides, which leads to extreme inflammation.
The juice of cucumber comprises hormones, which are needed by pancreas to create insulin, which is enormously useful for diabetic patients. Cucumber also contains copper, which helps to create-
- Healthy blood cells
- Develops blood circulation in the body
Cucumbers contain 3 lignans i.e. lariciresinol, pinoresinol, and secoisolariciresinol. These 3 lignans when consumed founds a place in digestive area and convert them into enterolignans. These enterolignans fix on to the estrogen receptors to diminish estrogens associated diseases like cancer. Reducing the risk of several types of cancer like-
- Breast cancer
- Colon cancer
- Ovarian cancer
- Uterine cancer
- Prostate cancer
Cucumber has an ability to fight bad breath. Cucumber discharges phytochemical, which eradicate the bad breath triggering bacteria.
- Procedure- Take a piece of cucumber and press it gently to the top of the mouth with the help of tongue nearly for 30-40 seconds. The phytochemicals will eradicate the bacteria blamable for triggering bad breath.
- Raw cucumber upsurges salivation and carries a neutralization of acids and alkali in the oral cavity
- Cucumber juice can effectually cure gum diseases such as pyorrhea and frail gums
Hangover & Headache
Cucumber is a great vegetable, which can be used to treat a hangover and headache linked with it. It helps to rehydrate the body’s nutrients and eradicate the toxins that exist due to the excessive consumption of alcohol. To control it, eat some cucumber portions before going to bed. The sugar, vitamin B and electrolyte, which contains in cucumber will diminish the strength of hangover and headache.
Side effects & Contraindications of Cucumber
As mentioned above about its benefits, there are some drawbacks. These are not free from health problems. Some of its contraindications are-
- Reactions may be seen around the oral cavity. Inflammation and irritation may also persist due to reaction. Generally, this occurs due to bitter cucumber. To overcome this problem, one has to eat the cucumber after cooking rather than eating raw.
- Some people have a problem of heartburn, which happens due to a compound called cucurbitacin. This leads to dyspepsia, which can be evaded by consuming cucumbers, which have endured refinement or whose compound cucurbitacin has been detached.
- Bitter Cucumber can also lead to several other problems such as toxicity and hair loss, which are initiated by chemicals establish in the cucumbers. This generally takes place when one eats an excess of cucumber.
As mentioned above, excess intake may lead to several problems beside its best benefits. Cucumber is a good dietary vegetable for health. Daily intake during the summer may give you relaxation and lots of water to your body.